NLC suspends strike in Kaduna following FG’s intervention

By our reporter| The Nigeria Labour Congress has suspended its five days warning strike in Kaduna State.

The NLC President, Ayuba Wabba who made the disclosure on Wednesday said the decision is to honour Thursday’s invitation of the Federal Government to mediate in the dispute between labour and the Kaduna State Government.

Nigeria’s Minister of Labour and Employment, Senator Chris Ngige had earlier on Wednesday waded into the ongoing trade dispute between the Kaduna State government and organised labour by inviting both parties to a reconciliation meeting.

The meeting scheduled to hold at the Ministry of Labour and Employment in the Federal Secretariat, Abuja is to be attended by the Kaduna State Governor, Nasir El Rufai and top officials of the State; s well as the President of the Nigeria Labour Congress, Ayuba Wabba and top NLC leaders.

See also  PENGASSAN faults executive order on oil revenue, says Tinubu ill-advised

Ngige had directed the two parties to maintain the status quo ante bellum pending the resolution of the issues in contention.

“I am therefore constrained in the exercise of my powers as the Minister of Labour and Employment, under the Trade Disputes Act, CAP. T8, Laws of Federation of Nigeria (LFN) 2004; to invite you and your top officials to the emergency trade dispute conciliation meeting,” he said.

Ngige’s intervention comes three days after the NLC started a protest following the disengagement of over seven thousand civil servants at the state and local governments by the Kaduna State government.

 

Leave a Reply