NNPC warn against panic buying, says no plan to increase fuel price

Our reporter/ The Nigeria National Petroleum Company Limited (NNPCL) have warned Nigerians against panic-buying and dismissing reports of a planned hike in the pump price of petrol also called Premium Motor Spirit (PMS).

According to reports, fuel marketers clashed with the Nigerian National Petroleum Company Limited (NNPCL) over whether the government was still paying subsidy. The development triggered claims that the commodity will now cost N1,200 per litre due to the cessation of under-recovery of fuel costs.

But the oil giant in a statement by its spokesman, Olufemi Soneye urged Nigerians not to panic, assuring them that there is no increment in the price of the commodity.

He assured the public that there is no imminent increase in the cost of Premium Motor Spirit (PMS), commonly known as petrol.

See also  International Women’s Day 2026: Julius Berger set to uplift women

“NNPC Ltd. urges Nigerians to disregard unfounded rumours and assures them that there are no plans for an upward review of the PMS price,” Soneye said.

“Motorists nationwide are advised against engaging in panic buying, as there is presently ample availability of PMS across the country.”

Also speaking on Channels Television’s Sunrise Daily, on Thursday IPMAN’s Public Relations Officer, Okanlawon Olanrewaju, said there is no plan by fuel marketers to increase fuel price.

“As far as the independent marketers are concerned, we don’t have plans or plans to increase fuel pump price,” Olanrewaju said.

“There is no basis for that for now. There is no signal from NNPC that we should increase. So, we cannot do that on our own except NNPC comes out and says we are going to increase pump price. On our own, there is nothing like that.

See also  NCC seeks stakeholders’ inputs on national telecoms policy review 

“I want to use this opportunity to appeal to the public to stop panic buying. There is nothing like that (fuel price increment). It is just a rumour.”

The NNPC had earlier refuted claims of a clash with IPMAN, insisting that subsidy has been entirely removed on petrol months after President Bola Tinubu pronounced the development.

Leave a Reply