No Boko Haram governor in Born, says Zulum

By our reporter| Governor Babagana Zulum of Borno State on Monday dismissed a report on the appointment of a governor over some territories in his domain by Boko Haram and Islamic State of West African Province (ISWAP).

Videos of the alleged appointment of a Boko Haram governor, named Abba Kaka by the interim council of the terrorist sect went viral on social media last week.

But speaking with State House correspondents after a closed door meeting with President Muhammadu Buhari, Zulum said the claim lacks substance.

The governor who stressed that “he is fully in charge of the state,” said his administration was not investigating the issue.

“We are yet to validate the authenticity of this report that ISWAP appointed governor in Borno state. So, as the governor of the state, I think it’s not right for me to speak on something that I don’t have full knowledge of,” he said.

See also  Police confirm Lakurawa bandits killed 33 in Kebbi attack

Asked whether he would investigate, Governor Zulum said no, blaming the report on social media.

“Not investigating. This report is not authentic. You have just seen somebody writing something on social media… I think on Facebook… You’re a journalist, I think we have to prove reports beyond reasonable doubts, before commenting on such reports, he added.

“As far as I’m concerned. I’m the governor of Borno State and I don’t have any information that we have another government in the Nigerian state. Yes. And I’m very much in charge.”

The governor said he was at the presidential villa to seek the president’s assistance to repatriate the over 200,000 Borno indigenes who fled to Chad, Cameroon, and Niger Republic as a result of insurgency.

See also  Owo Church Attack: Court admits confessional statements, forensic report as DSS closes case

He stressed that he needs to bring them back because the security situation in the state has improved.

“Now that we have started witnessing gradual return of peace to Borno State, these people that are taking refuge in our neighbouring countries are willing to return home, he said.

“Therefore, Borno State government picked a date of 27th of November 2021 for the commencement of the repatriation process, especially to local government areas of Abadam and Guzamala.

“So, I came to brief Mr. President, to solicit his support, with the view to ensuring hitch-free repatriation exercise.”

Leave a Reply