NPA lost over N1 billion to vandals during #EndSARS protest – Hadiza Usman

By our reporter| The Managing Director of Nigerian Ports Authority (NPA), Hadiza Bala Usman on Monday said the agency lost over a billion naira to vandalism during the recent nationwide #EndSARS protests.

Usman who made the disclosure during the 2021 budget defence session with the Senate Committee on Marine Transport, said the sum of N807 million had been earmarked for rehabilitation of the burnt portion of the agency’s building.

According to her, the amount is different from monies to be spent on replacement of 27 vehicles set ablaze by the vandals and the other three stolen by the vandals.

She said, “These vehicles being operational ones, need to be replaced as soon as insurance companies come up with the aspect of losses to be shouldered.

See also  Alleged Sexual Assault: TikToker Mirabel in ICU, investigations ongoing - Police

“Aside burnt the building and vehicles, other working tools like 317 computers were looted as well as photocopiers, the cost of replacement of which will be above a billion Naira when added to the N807million already estimated for rehabilitation of the burnt building.”

The NPA boss also assured the committee that the agency, based on ongoing arrangement with the Lagos State Government and National Inland Waterways Authority, NIWA, is coming up with a lasting solution to Trucks gridlock on roads leading to the ports in Lagos.

According to her, an electronic call-up system has been put in place for trucks accessing the ports for evacuation of goods.

She said, “Trucks park has been established in Orile, which is to serve as a call-up centre for any truck waiting to evacuate goods at the ports.

See also  ICPC confirm El-Rufai is in their custody

“Besides this arrangement, ultra-modern rail line leading to Apapa port and water transportation being offered by NIWA, are also helping out.”

Leave a Reply