Obi faults remand of Ibom Air passenger by govt while ignoring KWAM1 ‘terror act’

Our reporter/ The 2023 presidential candidate of the Labour Party, Peter Obi, on Monday faulted the arraignment and remand of Comfort Emmanson, a female passenger of the Ibom Air flight inbound Lagos from Uyo, the Akwa Ibom State capital, who was accused of assault and unruly behaviour.

In a statement posted on his official X handle, [formerly Twitter] the former Anambra state governor said that while her behaviour towards the airline’s crew members should not be condoned, justice should be fair, equal, and not selective.

While making a veiled reference to the incident involving a Fuji artiste, Wasiu Ayinde, popularly known as K1 De Ultimate, at the Nnamdi Azikiwe International Airport, Abuja, last week, Obi said, “It is unacceptable that she was hurriedly taken to court and remanded, while someone who visibly held a plane from taking off and put hundreds of lives at risk is still at large, with government agencies and some state officials speaking up for him to be forgiven.

“This case is not just about one young woman; it is about the double standards that poison our justice system. Justice in Nigeria must never be about who is poor or powerless versus who has influence or access to government officials.

See also  International Women’s Day 2026: Julius Berger set to uplift women

“While Ms. Comfort Emmanson is in jail, the other offender who committed a more severe offence has not been held to the same standard. He has neither been arrested nor arraigned in any court.

“We must build a country where justice is fair, equal, and not selective, especially against women who are seen to be weaker.”

He also condemned what he described as the “dehumanising” treatment meted out to her.

“Stripping her publicly was not only unnecessary but also represents the height of rascality and abuse by our agencies,” the former governor stated.

According to him, the lady’s offence does not compare to the crimes committed daily by those parading themselves as “excellencies” while “looting public funds” without consequence, and yet have not been stripped or dehumanised in the name of justice.

“We must end this selective treatment of the poor or less privileged. If justice must be served, it should be served to all, and it must be served fairly.

“The Minister of Aviation and other relevant authorities owe the public an explanation for these double standards in their adjudication. Justice must be just, or it is nothing at all. The rule of law based on justice for all must remain the guidepost of our democracy,” said Obi.

See also  NCC seeks stakeholders’ inputs on national telecoms policy review 

Meanwhile, Airline Operators of Nigeria on Monday imposed a no-fly life ban on Emmanson, who allegedly assaulted airline officials on the Ibom Air flight.

The AON, in a statement by its spokesperson, Obiora Okonkwo, on Monday, said the ban on Emmanson from flying with any AON member, either domestically or internationally, for life, takes immediate effect.

It also said anyone who exhibited such behaviour, going forward, would suffer a similar consequence.

“The incident, which Ibom Air described, from the initial refusal by the passenger to comply with safety instructions regarding mobile phone usage, which led to the brutal physical assault on Ibom Air crew members and the attempted use of a fire extinguisher as a weapon, constitutes one of the most severe cases of unruly passenger behaviour witnessed this year.

“This was not just disruptive; it was a sustained, violent attack that placed the lives of crew, passengers, and the integrity of the aircraft itself at risk. This behaviour is unacceptable.

“Therefore, effective immediately, the AON has placed Ms. Emmanson on its ‘No Fly’ list indefinitely. She is hereby banned from flying with any AON member, either domestically or internationally, for life, the statement read.

Leave a Reply