One in every five Nigerian tested last week was COVID-19 positive – PTF Chairman

By our reporter| Chairman of the Presidential Task Force (PTF) on COVID-19, Mr. Boss Mustapha on Monday Nigeria and South Africa have continued to report the highest daily count of COVID-19 on the African continent.

The PTF Chairman who made the disclosure at the task force briefing in Abuja, noted that one in every five persons tested in Nigeria within the passing week turned out positive and that South Africa, Ethiopia, Nigeria, Algeria, and Kenya now account for 76% of all cases in the African region.

According to him, Nigeria has moved up to the third position in the highest cumulative caseload but remains 2nd for new cases and 5th highest in cumulative deaths in the WHO African region.

He noted that testing has proven to have become more significant in the nation’s response, adding that the PTF still urges the State Governments to enable their EOCs to step up on sample collection and to maximise the capacities of the PCR Laboratories already established in their States.

See also  SSS to arraign El-Rufai on Wednesday for cybercrime, national security breach

He further disclosed that the PTF has also authorized the NCDC to immediately implement the 450 tests per LGA plan, nationwide, immediately, beginning with States that are at the forefront of resourcing and infrastructure.

On vaccines, the PTF boss, who is also the secretary to the government of the federation, assured Nigerians that government will ensure that the vaccines to be approved will be safe and effective.

“We must however work together as foot soldiers in the vaccine advocacy so that we can eliminate the pandemic. The PTF wishes to emphasise that the success of our national response shall not depend on vaccines alone. Rather, compliance with the non-pharmaceutical protocols must remain top on our individual priorities,” he stressed.

He also said that the nation is making progress with Case Management under its National Response.

See also  ICPC confirm El-Rufai is in their custody

“The National Response continues to receive the support of the private sector in the delivery of medical oxygen to the various facilities.

“At the same time, funds for the rehabilitation of existing oxygen facilities have been released to the various institutions. There is also a process in motion to ensure the construction of at least one oxygen facility in each state, he said.”

The PTF boss while reminding Nigerians that the pandemic is raging, noted that all tiers of Government and citizens must keep their hands-on-deck.

“We are in a difficult situation in which a balance must continue to be struck between lives and livelihood.

“We are considering all options while hoping that broad cooperation will be received. We must do everything possible to avoid the second lockdown in Nigeria,” he stated.

 

Leave a Reply