Orji Kalu: I’m ready to be sweeper in Aso Rock if Lawan becomes president

By our reporter| Former Abia state governor and senate chief whip, Orji Kalu, on Monday said he is ready to become a sweeper in the presidential villa, if Ahmad Lawan is elected president in 2023.

Kalu, who stated this in an interview on Channels Television, however, said he will contest the presidency if the ruling APC decides to zone its presidential ticket to the south-east region of the party.

Pressed to respond to claims that he is supporting Lawan in order to become the next Senate president, the controversial former Abia governor, said he does not need to have a position if Lawan becomes the next president.

Kalu said, “With Ahmad Lawan, I am ready to be the sweeper of the place (referring to Aso Rock). I don’t need to have a position if Ahmad Lawan is president. That is true.”

“I can sweep the villa. My house is very close to the villa. I can be the sweeper of the villa.”

According to the former governor, Lawan’s presidential ambition is gathering steam with some candidates ready to step down for the Senate President.

See also  US Supreme Court strikes down Trump's tariffs

“I want to tell you, I have spoken to nine candidates running for president, and they are ready, already discussing to step down for Ahmed Lawan,” the lawmaker added.

Kalu, who said Nigeria needs strong leadership, believes that Lawan is the one that can give the country such.

“I have known him 41 years ago,” the Senator said. “We were roommates at the university. He is strong enough to give the Nigerian people what they are looking for.”

As far as he is concerned the Senate President played a vital role in stabilizing the Nigerian parliament. He said several bills have been passed by the lawmakers under Lawan’s leadership, a development Kalu said will be replicated at the Presidential level if Lawan wins.

While defending his decision to step down from his presidential race, he reiterated that the position ought to be zoned to the South East.

See also  PENGASSAN faults executive order on oil revenue, says Tinubu ill-advised

“We have supported South West. We supported President Obasanjo, we supported Vice President Osinbajo, we supported Vice President Jonathan for five years and we supported President Jonathan for six years. Why can’t they support us?” he asked.

“Any southerner that is not from South East and is coming to run for president is a betrayer. They are the ones betraying us.”

Kalu, earlier in the year declared his intention to contest the 2023 presidential election if the ticket of the All Progressives Congress (APC) is zoned to the south.

But withdrawing from the race via a statement last Monday, Kalu said he decided to withdraw from the race since there is “no zoning” in the APC and the contest has been thrown open to all aspirants.

While endorsing Lawan as presidential candidate, Kalu announced his decision to continue to represent Abia north in the national assembly.

With Channels Television report

 

Leave a Reply