Presidency questions the legality of Southern governors’ ban on open grazing

Ebun Francis| The proposed plan by southern governors’ to enforce the ban on open grazing is of “questionable legality”, the presidency said on Monday.

The resolution reached in Asaba, Delta state capital, the presidency insists, will not solve the farmer-herder crisis.

Presidential spokesman, Garba Shehu, who made the disclosure in a statement, said President Muhammadu Buhari had earlier approved the rehabilitation of grazing reserves to address the farmer and herders’ clashes.

“The President had approved a number of specific measures to bring a permanent end to the frequent skirmishes as recommended by Alhaji Sabo Nanono, the Minister of Agriculture in a report he submitted and the President signed off on it back in April, well before the actions of the Southern Governors Forum which attempts to place a ban on open grazing and other acts of politicking intended by its signatories to demonstrate their power,” the statement read.

“It is very clear that there was no solution offered from their resolutions to the herder-farmer clashes that have been continuing in our country for generations.

See also  Owo Church Attack: DSS witness narrates how forensic analysis implicated suspected attackers

“But the citizens of the southern states – indeed citizens of all states of Nigeria – have a right to expect their elected leaders and representatives to find answers to challenges of governance and rights, and not to wash their hands off hard choices by, instead, issuing bans that say: “not in my state.”

“It is equally true that their announcement is of questionable legality, given the Constitutional right of all Nigerians to enjoy the same rights and freedoms within every one of our 36 states (and FCT) -regardless of the state of their birth or residence.

“Fortunately, this declaration has been preempted, for whatever it is intended to achieve and Mr. President, who has rightly been worried about these problems more than any other citizen in consultation with farmers and herders alike, commissioned and approved an actionable plan of rehabilitating grazing reserves in the states, starting with those that are truly committed to the solution and compliant with stated requirements.

See also  Nuhu Ribadu accused of unlawfully detaining woman for months over recording alleged ‘romantic video call’ with Tinubu - Report

“With veterinary clinics, water points for animals, and facilities for herders and their families including schooling – through these rehabilitated reserves, the Federal Government is making far-reaching and practical changes allowing for different communities to co-exist side-by-side: supporting farmers to till their fields, herders to rear their livestock and Nigerians everywhere to be safe.”

According to Shehu, in spite of the negative effects of COVID-19 on the economy, federal funding for the project, which had been delayed, is now being partly unlocked to achieve full actualisation of the modern reserve system in consenting states, and should take off in June.

It will be recalled that the governors had in announcing the ban on open grazing, said the decision was taken as part of efforts to improve security in the region.

There have, however, been mixed over the Asaba resolution by the governors with the AGF, Abubakar Malami, equating the ban to prohibiting spare parts trading in the north.

Leave a Reply