Rescued Chibok girls details encounter late Shekau, says 20 Chibokgirls still in Sambisa

By our reporter| The Nigerian army has rescued two more Chibok girls eight years after they were abducted alongside 274 other school girls from the Government Girls Secondary School, Chibok, Borno state.

They were rescued by Theatre Command Operation Hadin Kai in Sambisa forest around Gazuwa enclave in Bama Local Government Area, Borno State, recently.

The two girls, Mariam Dauda and Hauwa Joseph, who were rescued along with their babies narrated their ordeal in the forest at a press conference, held at the Command-and-Control Centre Maimalari Cantonment in Maiduguri on Tuesday.

They revealed that they had been married off to Boko Haram Commanders for years but their husbands were killed by the Nigerian military months ago.

See also  Nigeria's debt to World bank climbs to $18.7bn under Tinubu

While responding to questions from newsmen, Mary now Mariam said, “Yes I know him, I used to see the late Abubakar Shekau.

“Yes, there are still other Chibok girls in the Sambisa Forest. They also have been married, at least more than 20 are still there,” she began to mention their names one after the other.

“I was 18 years old when they abducted us and I converted to Islam, I was Christian but they converted us to Islam and married us off.

“We thank God that we are finally out, we have suffered after our husbands were killed, life was hell for us. We sincerely thank the military for rescuing us.”

On her part, Hauwa claimed she has never seen the late Shekau in person.

See also  Rivers Assembly halts impeachment proceedings against Fubara, deputy

“I have never seen him face to face but I used to watch him on a laptop giving instruction to the fighters,” Hauwa said.

They thanked the military for rescuing them after being held captive by Boko Haram for eight years.

Theatre Commander, Major General Christopher Musa, attributed the success due to the massive military operations in Sambisa Forest, Mandara Mountain, and the Lake Chad areas.

Musa noted that girls were rescued in Sambisa while assuring that they won’t rest until the remaining abductees regain their freedom.

Leave a Reply