Secondus loses bid to scuttle PDP convention

By our reporter/ The suspended national chairman of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), Uche Secondus on Friday lost his bid to stop the opposition party’s convention.

Secondus, who approached the court of appeal to challenge his removal as chairman, also sought an order of injunction restraining the PDP from holding its national convention scheduled for October 30th and 31st.

A three-member panel unanimously dismissed the appeal which was filed on October 14, 2021, for lacking in merit.

Gabriel Kolawale, who read the panel’s decision, said the suit by Secondus was an afterthought and abuse of court process.

According to the judge, the attempt by the applicant to suspend the planned convention is an act of “self-induced urgency” to disrupt an ongoing lawful process of the party.

See also  DMO: Nigeria’s public debt stock rose by N900bn to N153trn in Q3 2025

He wondered why the applicant waited for too long to seek the stoppage of the process which had been communicated to the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC).

The judge noted that Secondus did not oppose the notice of the convention written by the acting chairman of the party to INEC neither did he oppose INEC’s response to the party.

The court granted the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) the right to hold its national convention as scheduled.

Responding to the judgement, Tayo Oyetibo, counsel to Secondus, said the outcome of the main appeal, which is challenging the removal of his client as chairman of the PDP, would determine whether they will approach the supreme court to appeal.

See also  Bandits attack Zamfara community, kill 30, abduct several

 

Leave a Reply