Security operatives killed 12 #EndSARS protesters in Alausa, Lekki, says Amnesty

By our reporter| Human rights watchdog, amnesty International on Wednesday said not less than 12 #EndSARS protesters were killed in Lagos during Tuesday’s attack by security operatives.

According to a statement by Isa Sanusi, the organisation spokesman, its investigation showed that the victims were killed in Lekki and Alausa, the two major convergence point of #EndSARS protesters in Lagos.

The statement read, “An on-the-ground investigation by Amnesty International has confirmed that the Nigerian army and police killed at least 12 peaceful protesters yesterday at two locations in Lagos. The killings took place in Lekki and Alausa, where thousands were protesting police brutality as part of the #EndSars movement.”

“Evidence gathered from eyewitnesses, video footage and hospital reports confirm that between 6:45pm and 9:00pm on Tuesday 20 October, the Nigerian military opened fire on thousands of people who were peacefully calling for good governance and an end to police brutality.

See also  Rivers Assembly halts impeachment proceedings against Fubara, deputy

“Witnesses at the Lekki protest grounds told Amnesty international that solders arrived at about 6:45pm local time on Tuesday evening, and opened fire on #EndSars protesters without warning. Eyewitnesses at Alausa protest ground said they were attacked by a team of soldiers and policemen from the Rapid Response Squad (RRS) Unit at about 8:00 pm, leaving at least two people dead and one critically injured.”

“Opening fire on peaceful protesters is a blatant violation of people’s rights to life, dignity, freedom of expression and peaceful assembly. Soldiers clearly had one intention – to kill without consequences,” said Amnesty International Nigeria,” the statement quoted Osai Ojigho, country director of the watchdog group to have said.

See also  ICPC confirm El-Rufai is in their custody

According to the statement, amnesty international has been monitoring developments across Nigeria since the #EndSARS protest began on October 8, 2020, and so far,
56 people have died across the country, with about 38 killed on Tuesday alone.

Leave a Reply