UPDATED: Many soldiers killed as bandits attack Kebbi deputy governor’s convoy

By our reporter| Scores of security operatives are believed to have been killed late on Tuesday after bandits attacked the convoy of Colonel Samaila Yombe Dabai (rtd), the Deputy Governor of Kebbi State.

The deputy governor was attacked on his way back from Danko-Wassagu Local Government Area of the state where he visited some communities raided by bandits a few days ago.

The Special Adviser to the deputy governor, Abdullahi Musa who confirmed the attack to Channels Television, said his principal’s convoy was attacked in Kanya village after visiting some communities around the local government.

“It was face to face with the bandits and you know he is a retired military officer and he still has some military techniques which also helped him during the shootout with the bandits,” Musa said.

“He was not alone, he was accompanied with top military officers in the state, about 36 of them,” he added.

An assessment of the structure and logistics for military operatives in the area was part of the itinerary for the trip.

See also  NCC seeks stakeholders’ inputs on national telecoms policy review 

Though he could not confirm the numbers of security operatives killed during the assault, the media aide said once the casualty figures are confirmed, the press would be availed the data.

Sources, however, said that about nineteen (19) security agents were killed during the attack.

Abdullahi Abubakar, a native of Danko-Wassagu said the armed bandits rode on motorcycles and laid ambush for the convoy of the deputy governor in Kanya village.

Earlier on Wednesday, the Kebbi state government revealed that some soldiers were killed by bandits during a gun battle in Zuru emirate of Kebbi State.

The secretary to the state government Kebbi State Government, Umar Babale Yauri made the disclosure when the minister of foreign affairs, Geoffrey Onyeama, visited Birnin Kebbi, the state capital.

The SSG), who did not give the number of the soldiers killed, however, said the government was making a frantic effort to tackle the insecurity bedeviling the southern part of the state.

“In fact, only last three days, we lost about 65 vigilantes members. And even yesterday, we lost some military officers engaging with them, the SSG said.

See also  Cardoso tasks Central Banks, DFIs on Africa’s growth

“The issue of banditry was formerly a casual thing in Kebbi but in view of what is currently happening in Zamfara, the bandits are facing a serious challenge from the military, therefore, forced to come into Kebbi especially, the southern part of Kebbi.”

Responding, the Minister said he was in the state on the directive of President Muhammadu Buhari, to condole with the government and people of Kebbi State over the recent killing of members of vigilante in the state.

Onyeama said the President urged the state to stand firm in dealing with the challenges of the banditry.

“There will be no retreat and we will not be bound with the challenges of banditry and terrorists in the northern states,” he said.

The killing of the soldiers happened a day after about 63 members of the vigilante group known as Yan-Sa-Kai, were massacred in Zuru.

Leave a Reply