South Africa grants Air Peace landing permit after initial delay

The Air Peace Flight B777, scheduled to evacuate the second batch of Nigerians from South Africa has been granted a landing permit after an initial delay by the authorities.

More 300 Nigerians are expected to be evacuated today by the government in the wake of xenophobic attacks in South Africa which escalated recently.

Air Peace said they would be taking off later Tuesday evening following the delay in obtaining a landing permit.

So far, 187 Nigerians have been successfully evacuated and profiled according to their states.

The Federal Government last week brought home the first batch of 187 Nigerians and has assured that issues of compensation for victims will be handled by the ministry of foreign affairs.

See also  Cardoso tasks Central Banks, DFIs on Africa’s growth

The South African on Monday apologised to Nigeria over the attacks. The country’s president, Cyril Ramophosa dispatched a special envoy to President Buhari with the message.

In a related development, Nigeria’s foreign affairs Minister, Geoffery Onyeama has said the xenophobic attacks will not be on the nation’s agenda at the United Nations General Assembly (UNGA).

Onyema, who spoke at a media briefing on Nigeria’s participation at the 74th UNGA holding in New York, believes both Nigeria and South Africa should be able to sort out their differences privately.

He further stated the issues of non-renewal of work permits of Nigerians in South Africa and the reports around the cancellation of the residency of the returnees will be discussed by both President Muhammadu Buhari and Cyril Ramaphosa when they meet in October.

Leave a Reply