Third mainland bridge reopens

By our reporter| The Third Mainland Bridge will be reopened on Monday following the completion of repairs on the bridge.

The Federal Controller of Works Lagos, Mr. Olukayode Popoola, who confirmed the development on Sunday, said the contractor was able to achieve the task within 48 hours, contrary to the initially scheduled 72-hour timeframe.

He said, “We have completed the casting of the three number expansion joints on Third Mainland bridge.

“Therefore, the bridge shall be opened at 12:00 midnight Sunday 27th December, and no longer Monday 28th December.

“That is 48 hours and no more 72 hours.”

The closure of portions of the bridge commenced earlier in the year, and was scheduled to last six months, divided into two phases of three months on each carriageway.

See also  US Supreme Court strikes down Trump's tariffs

The process was, however, extended by one month due to the recent #EndSARS protests in Lagos, thereby extending the completion date from January 2021 to February.

For the yuletide season, which was also a public holiday, the bridge had to be shut down totally in order to stop vibrations caused by the movement of vehicles.

Leave a Reply