President Bola Tinubu on Wednesday declared a nationwide security emergency to confront the rising spate of terror attacks and abductions across the country by terrorists and bandits.
Tinubu also ordered additional recruitment into the Nigerian Armed Forces and the police force.
“Today, in view of the emerging security situation, I have decided to declare a nationwide security emergency and order additional recruitment into the Armed Forces.
“By this declaration, the police and the army are authorised to recruit more personnel. The police will recruit an additional 20,000 officers, bringing the total to 50,000,” he said in a statement her personally signed.
Tinubu, who said that he had previously approved the nationwide upgrade of police training facilities, authorised the security agency to use various National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) camps as training depots.
According to him, the officers being withdrawn from VIP guard duties should undergo “crash training” to debrief them and deliver more efficient police services when deployed to security-challenged areas of the country.
The President also authorised the Department of State Services (DSS) to immediately deploy all the forest guards already trained to flush out the terrorists and bandits lurking in our forests.
“The agency also has my directive to recruit more men to man the forests. There will be no more hiding places for agents of evil.
“My fellow Nigerians, this is a national emergency, and we are responding by deploying more boots on the ground, especially in security-challenged areas. The times require all hands on deck.
targets in Kebbi, Borno, Zamfara, Niger, Yobe, and Kwara States. I also pay tribute to our brave soldiers who have made the ultimate sacrifice, including Brigadier-General Musa Uba.
“Fellow Compatriots, I urge you not to give in to fear and never succumb to despair. Let’s stand together in purpose and strength to defend our freedom and values. Our administration will continue to guarantee peaceful co-existence and preserve our union.
“I urge all Nigerians to remain calm and vigilant. Report suspicious activities. Cooperate with security agencies. We are in this fight together, and together we shall win,” it added.
Tinubu’s latest decision followed widespread concerns and fears over insecurity, amid the killing of at least five people in Kebbi, Kwara states, and the abduction of over 300 children from the Government Girls Comprehensive Secondary School (GGCSS), Maga, and St Mary’s Catholic School, Papiri, in Kebbi and Niger states, respectively.



Leave a Reply