Tompolo extends ultimatum to constitute NDDC board to end of June

By our reporter| Government Ekpemupolo, better known as Tompolo, on Saturday said he has “reluctantly” agreed to allow the process of constituting a board for the Niger Delta Development Commission (NDDC) till the end of June.

President Muhammadu Buhari had, in 2019, ordered a forensic audit of the NDDC’s operations, which uncovered allegations of mismanagement of funds.

However, a new board is yet to be constituted for the commission, following the dissolution of the previous one in January 2020.

Following an ultimatum by Tompolo, the Minister of Niger Delta affairs, Godswill Akpabio visited Delta state last week to plead with the warlord over a seven-day ultimatum he issued in May for President Muhammadu Buhari to constitute the NDDC board or face total breakdown of law and order in the south-south region.

After the visit, Akpabio disclosed that the meeting was fruitful and promised to commence and fast-track the process.

According to a statement on Saturday, Tompolo said that he got involved in the matter because of his love for the region and Nigeria.

See also  Owo Church Attack: Court admits confessional statements, forensic report as DSS closes case

The statement read, “I welcomed the consultative meeting of our revered traditional rulers from the region, Delta State Government, the Ijaw National Congress (INC) led by its President, Professor Benjamin Okaba, leaders from the Itsekiri, Urhobo, Isoko, Ndokwa, and other Nationalities with the Minister of the Niger Delta Affairs, Senator Akpabio in attendance, at the traditional headquarters of Gbaramatu Kingdom, Oporoza town on Thursday, June 3rd, 2021.”

According to Tompolo, Akpabio had promised to constitute the board immediately, adding that the minister had asked that the process be allowed till the end of June to be completed.

“The outcome of the meeting has been made known to the public by the Minister. He promised profusely to start the process of the constitution and inauguration of the substantive board of the NDDC immediately (from Friday, June 4th, 2021), and that he should be allowed to drive the process to an end on or before the end of June 2021,” the statement continued.

See also  Nuhu Ribadu accused of unlawfully detaining woman for months over recording alleged ‘romantic video call’ with Tinubu - Report

“As it stands now, I have accepted the outcome of the meeting reluctantly. It is pertinent to state at this juncture that I do not want anything to disrupt the relative peace we are enjoying in the region.

“It was on this premise that I accepted the outcome of the meeting. The ultimate goal in this issue is for the Minister to abide by the promise he has made to start the process of constituting the NDDC board now. Government shenanigans must be put away in this matter, as constituting the NDDC board is very dear to the heart of the people of the region.”

He thanked everyone who played a part in the resolution, saying “it is my prayer that the needful be done to develop the Niger Delta region as seen in advanced climes.”

Leave a Reply