Two killed, three injured in fresh Lagos building collapse

By our reporter| Two persons were confirmed killed, and three others injured in a fresh building collapse on Alayaki Lane, Lagos Island.

The three-story building which was under construction came down during a heavy rainfall in the area.

The Lagos territorial head of national emergency management agency, Ibrahim Farinloye, who confirmed the incident on Saturday, said preliminary investigations revealed the building was being constructed in violation of safety protocols.

“Three rescued alive and two died. Responders are on the way,” he said.

According to the Permanent Secretary, Lagos State Emergency Management Agency, Dr. Olufemi Oke-Osanyitolu, preliminary investigation also revealed that the building was being constructed in violation of the safety protocols.

“The agency responded to the incident which was already in violation of building safety protocols. It was discovered that the building had been captured by the LASBCA District Office and served with all statutory notices, sealed at district and central enforcement level, he said.

See also  Nigeria's debt to World bank climbs to $18.7bn under Tinubu

“Further investigation showed that the developer had continued clandestine operations mostly at night and at the weekends.

“An unconfirmed number of people are still trapped inside the building. Two people have been rescued alive while another was recovered dead. Search and rescue operations ongoing.”

Earlier this month, 10 persons were killed when a three-story building collapsed at Ebute Metta, Lagos Mainland.

Leave a Reply