Two soldiers, Boko Haram terrorists killed as troops repel attack on Magumeri

Two soldiers, a nursing mother and many Boko Haram insurgents were killed on Tuesday after troops fought fiercely to repel a major attack on Magumeri, a local government headquarters in Borno State.

Sources familiar with the incident told PT that the town of Magumeri came under attack on Tuesday evening when a group of armed insurgents stormed the outskirts of the community in many trucks.

Soldiers of the Special Task Force in Magumeri, led by their Commander, Major Manga, were said to have saved the residents from yet another massacre.

“It would have been deadly, but for the swift arrival of Oga Manga and his troops,” said Bunu Bukar, an official of the state vigilante group, called Rapid Response Squad.

See also  Owo Church Attack: Court admits confessional statements, forensic report as DSS closes case

“The troops engaged them in a fierce fight that led to the death of many Boko Haram. A gun truck was recovered from the Boko Haram amongst many other arms and ammunition.”

The source said two soldiers paid the supreme price.

“We lost two soldiers in the fight, while one sustained an injury,” he said.

Other sources familiar with the incident confirmed that the insurgents had, before the arrival of the soldiers, burnt down a general hospital that was recently rebuilt and equipped by the Borno State Government.

The source also said a nursing mother was killed after a stray bullet hit her during the shootout.

According to military sources, the attack on Magumeri coincided with another strike in Kukawa town of Borno state.

See also  US mission celebrates Nigerian American Dr Wendy Okolo @NASA

Kukawa is the local government area where Baga, a commercial fishing community, is located and the scene of an attack on the convoy Borno State governor convoy Babagana Zulum earlier this month.

With additional report from PT

Leave a Reply