Ebun Francis || The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) on Friday cleared Kano state of any wrongdoing over the accusation that it allowed underage voters to participate in the recently concluded local government election.
According to the electoral body, there is no evidence of underage voting in the state.
INEC chairman, Mahmood Yakubu instituted the panel following allegations that minors participated in last month’s local government election in the state following purported images on the internet of child voters.
Abubakar Nauche, chairman of the committee set up by the electoral body at a briefing with newsmen said there is no evidence that the pictures were from the Kano exercise, attributing some of them to Kenya.
Nauche said, “From the interaction with civil society organisations and media, no evidence of underage voting has been presented.”
“We have discussed with you media men, but none of you said he saw any underage voter in the line on election day.
“All what we saw were from social media and they are not verifiable… some of them (pictures and videos) are not even from Nigeria, some are from Kenya elections but people are attributing them to Nigeria.”
Nahuche said the team would write its report and submit to INEC headquarters for further action.

