US govt says security crisis in Nigeria responsible for new visa restrictions policy

Our reporter/ The U.S. Mission Nigeria on Friday explained that new visa restrictions against Nigerians has nothing to do with President Bola Tinubu’s participation at the 2025 BRICS summit last week nor Nigeria’s reported refusal to accept deported Venezuelan convicts and illegals.

The foreign mission in a statement on Friday stated that the single entry three-month visa policy was activated as a security measure to “safeguard U.S. immigration systems,” adding that the policy might be reconsidered if Nigeria can fortify its weak immigration systems to meet global standards.

The statement comes a day after Minister of Foreign Affairs Yusuf Tuggar said Nigeria declined an offer from Washington to accommodate Venezuelan prisoners and illegals.

Tuggar suggested that U.S. additional 10 per cent tariffs on nations in alliance with BRICS might not have been the only factor considered in reducing the validity of U.S. non-immigrant visas for Nigerians.

See also  Nigeria's debt to World bank climbs to $18.7bn under Tinubu

“This reduction is not the result of any nation’s stance on third-country deportees, introduction of e-visa policies, or affiliations with groups like BRICS,” stated the U.S. Mission in Nigeria. “The reduction in validity is part of an ongoing global review of the use of U.S. visas by other countries using technical and security benchmarks to safeguard U.S. immigration systems.”

Leave a Reply