Chidi Samuel|
The acting chairman of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC), Ibrahim Magu on Wednesday accused the UK authorities of delaying the prosecution of former minister of petroleum, Diezani Alison-Madueke.
According to Magu, the case has festered for the past four years with no positive result.
The Nigerian anti-corruption Czar also disclosed that till date, not a single kobo had been recovered from the alleged $2.4 billion stashed away by the former petroleum minister.
Magu made the disclosure when he received a team of International Criminal Police Organisation (Interpol) at the commission’s headquarters in Abuja.
He said, “There is the case of Diezani which has been going on for over four years and the amount involved is about $2.4 billion and no kobo has been recovered from overseas.”
“Though we have not been able to arrest some of these fleeing people, it is good that they know they are on red notice, as there are Nigerians like Diezani whom we have applied for.”
Magu equally appealed to countries hosting former Nigerian officials like Dieziani Alison- Madueke and Dan Etette, facing corruption charges to either prosecute or hand them over to Nigeria.
“We are willing to cooperate with Interpol at all times, if there is anything other enforcement agencies cannot provide especially in financial crime, the Interpol is sure to get result here in EFCC because we specialize in financial crime, money laundering and terrorist financing,” he said.
“We are thankful for Interpol residency in the EFCC 24/7. We are delighted that the collaboration with Interpol is yielding results, especially in the area of intelligence.”


Leave a Reply