We planned to attack Ondo before my arrest- Boko Haram suspect

Ebun Francis || Mohammed Bashir, the Boko Haram commander, arrested last week in Ondo state, South West Nigeria said on Tuesday that the insurgent group were planning an attack in the town before he was arrested and that more members of the group were still in hiding in the state.

The 20-year old suspect who spoke in Hausa language was arrested in Isua Akoko, the Headquarters of Akoko South East local government area.

Bashir, who said he joined the insurgent group a few months ago claimed to have participated in attacks in Bornu and Nasarawa states.

He also claimed that powerful people supplied them with arms and ammunition in the bush to carry out attacks

See also  Police confirm Lakurawa bandits killed 33 in Kebbi attack

He said, “I am an officer in Boko Haram, I was arrested by the police when I wanted to go and eat. Myself and other members of the gang are meeting in the bush on how to carry out attacks in Ondo State. I left the meeting to go and eat when the police arrested me.”

“ Killing means nothing to us, I have once killed two people with gun, I killed one man and a boy, we just kill people at will. We kill people because we believe that those practising western education are evil doers and we must kill them. “

Parading the suspect before newsmen in Akure, the Ondo state police commissioner, Gbenga Adeyanju said the suspect will soon be handed over to the Nigeria army for further interrogation.

See also  Alleged Sexual Assault: TikToker Mirabel in ICU, investigations ongoing - Police

He called on members of the public to volunteer information that could lead to the arrest of other suspects still at large.