Why FG hasn’t declared bandits as terrorists – Defence minister

By our reporter/ Due process is responsible for the delay in declaring bandits as terrorists, Nigeria’s minister of defence, Bashir Magashi said on Friday.

The federal government has come under pressure in recent times to declare bandits as terrorists, amid accusation that the government is handling bandits with “kid gloves”.

But speaking with newsmen in Maiduguri on Friday, Magashi said there is a procedure that needs to be observed before such a declaration.

“We are not declaring them terrorists because there is a procedure for doing that,” he said.

“When the procedure is followed, they will be classified as terrorists. We are waiting for the procedure to be completed.”

The minister, who said he was in Maiduguri with the service chiefs to assess the ongoing fight against insurgency in the north-east, also
expressed satisfaction with the successes recorded so far.

See also  PENGASSAN faults executive order on oil revenue, says Tinubu ill-advised

His team, he disclosed, met with the theatre commander and other component commanders to deliberate on the next phase of operations.

Magashi also said the meeting identified problems that required urgent attention to enhance the security operations.

 

Leave a Reply