Why we did not isolate potential Coronavirus exposed travellers – FG

The federal government on Friday explained that its decision not to isolate potential coronavirus travellers was based on the recommendation of the World Health Organisation (WHO).

Nigeria’s Minister of Health, Dr. Osagie Ehanire, made the disclosure while briefing newsmen in Abuja in company with the Minister of State for Health, Olorunnimbe Mamora, and top officials of the Federal Ministry of Health, following the outbreak of coronavirus in Lagos.

Ehanire said, “The question of quarantine; the World Health Organisation advises everybody, all countries that there is no need to put every single traveller into quarantine.”

“There are some other countries who choose to do differently but we followed the guidelines of the World Health Organisation which states that ‘screen all persons who are entering your country, take their travel history; if they are coming from a country that has a burden of coronavirus, invite them for further questioning.”

According to the minister, WHO recommended that newly arrived travellers should also be advised to stay in isolation for 14 days, in the interest of their family and loved ones.

See also  Owo Church Attack: Court admits confessional statements, forensic report as DSS closes case

Ehanire who revealed that the government is working very closely with the WHO – the global body monitoring public health situations and security, explained that efforts are being stepped up at the international airports as preventive measures have been taken even before the first case was recorded in the country.

He said, “Our focus is on the four cities with international airports – Abuja, Lagos, Port Harcourt, and Kano; the Enugu Airport has been closed and I understand it will be opened very soon.

“The WHO warned just a day before that all countries should brace themselves for possible spread of coronavirus into their states and since then, we have continued beefing up our own security.”

“The second thing that they said is that coronavirus symptoms may not manifest with the first several days; the person who gets infected may not show any signs within the first few days (three to five days).

See also  DMO: Nigeria’s public debt stock rose by N900bn to N153trn in Q3 2025

“So, the gentleman who came here apparently may have gotten infected at the point but walked through the screening with no symptoms and by the time he got to his house, he started to feel unwell,” he confirmed.

The minister explained that after the patient tested negative for malaria at the hospital, officials contacted the appropriate authorities, having known his history.

The Italian was subsequently referred to the testing centre at the Lagos University Teaching Hospital (LUTH) where he tested positive to coronavirus.

Ehanire noted that the patient had been isolated from the referral hospital in a special ambulance where the driver was well-kitted.

He, did not, however, disclose the identity of the patient and the company he works with, saying that would be done based on seeking their permission.

The minister stressed that the case recorded was not as a result of failed screening, stressing that the process went well without any glitch.

Leave a Reply