Ebun Francis|
The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) on Sunday explained why it has not granted Atiku Abubakar, the presidential candidate of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), acess to inspect election materials as directed by the election tribunal.
The electoral umpire had earlier been accused by Kola Ologbondiyan, the main opposition party spokesman of denying Atiku access to the materials despite being served by a court order.
But reacting to the accusation, Rotimi Oyekanmi, spokesman of INEC chairman, said INEC will comply with the court directive “if and when the commission receives the order”.
“It is common knowledge that since the declaration of the results of the presidential election, the commission has been busy with the multiple activities associated with the national assembly, governorship, state houses of assembly and federal capital territory elections,” he said.
“Only last Thursday, the commission presented certificates of return to senators-elect and house of representatives members-elect, including PDP members.
“Nevertheless, the commission will comply when the due process is followed.”


Leave a Reply