Yobe governor, Army, Police deny report of rescued Dapchi school girls

Ebun Francis || Almost 24 hours after the Yobe state government claimed in a statement that some of the abducted school girls from Girls Science Technical College, Dapchi has been rescued neither the state governor, Ibrahim Gaidam, the police nor the Army could confirm the development.

The suspected Boko Haram insurgents raided the school on Monday and abducted some of the students.

The government in a statement late Wednesday confirmed the abduction but said the army had been able to secure the release some of the girls.

“The Yobe state government hereby informs the public that some of the girls at Government Girls Science Technical College (GGSTC) whose school was attacked by Boko Haram terrorists last Monday have been rescued by gallant officers and men of the Nigerian Army from the terrorists who abducted them,” the governor had said in a statement which Abdullahi Bego, his spokesman, issued on his behalf.

See also  SSS to arraign El-Rufai on Wednesday for cybercrime, national security breach

“The rescued girls are now in the custody of the Nigerian Army. We will provide more details about their number and condition in due course.”

But speaking when he visited community on Thursday, the governor told family members of the students to keep praying that the girls should be found.

The Defence Headquarters has also said it has no such information on the rescue of the girls.

“We cannot confirm” the statement by Yobe State that some of the girls have been rescued, Defence spokesperson, John Agim, said on Thursday morning.

The brigadier-general refused to give further details about the military’s intervention in the situation as directed by President Muhammadu Buhari.

See also  Nigeria's debt to World bank climbs to $18.7bn under Tinubu

One of the aides to Yobe state police commissioner, Sunmonu Abdulmaliki, also said that the police had no information on the matter.

“There’s nothing we can confirm,” the aide said in answer to questions from newsmen.

According to him, the police would be working with a team  President Muhammadu Buhari sent to Yobe.

“We hope that after the visit by the delegation, the picture would be clearer,” he added.