14 killed, 24 injured in fresh suicide attack in Bornu

The resurgent Boko Haram attacks in Bornu State continued Friday night as suicide bombers attacked the Internally displaced camp in Dikwa killing fourteen people and injuring twenty-four others.

The state Emergency management confirmed Saturday that it has evacuated fourteen bodies and the twenty-four injured persons from the scene of the attack which took place late on Friday.

Eye witness accounts disclosed that the attackers infiltrated the IDP camp which is located in the estate and detonated their bombs which took security operatives unawares.

According to Bello Danbaba, the head of the rapid response team of the state emergency team, a suicide female bomber infiltrated the building housing the refugees and detonated her bomb.

See also  Economic Hardship: Sultan urges Nigerians to return to farm

“We have so far evacuated 38 victims comprising, fourteen deaths and 24 injured persons presently receiving treatment at the State Specialist Hospital Maiduguri,” he said.

The attack was also confirmed by the theatre commander of operation Lafiya Dole, Col Clement Nwachukwu.

“We are doing all we can to provide adequate security through our continuing operations but we urge the public to be more security conscious and know who their neighbours are,” he said on Saturday.

Friday’s attack came on the heels of Thursday ambush of oil explorers prospecting oil in the Chad Basin which lead to the death of about 48 people including soldiers.

Prof Yemi Osinbajo worried by the increase in Boko Haram attacks ordered the Chief of Army Staff, Lt Gen Tukur Buratai and his Air Force Counterpart to relocate to Maiduguri with immediate effect, a directive they have already complied with.

See also  Otti felicitates with Muslims on Eid-el-Kabir festival