(Updated) Death toll in Mubi suicide attack rises to 50- Police

Ebun Francis ||

The Adamawa Police Command says the death toll in Tuesday’s Mubi mosque suicide attack has risen to 50.
The command’s Public Relations Officer, Othman Abubakar, confirmed the development to the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) on Tuesday.
Mr. Abubakar said a young boy was responsible for the blast which occurred during the early morning prayer.
“We have 50 dead and we are now trying to get the exact number of those injured,” Mr. Abubakar said.
The attack happened in Dazala area of Mubi town in Adamawa on Tuesday around 5 a.m. when Muslims were observing the early morning prayer.
Fifteen people were earlier confirmed dead, but the figure was later reviewed to 25.
The incident was the first in three years since the liberation of Mubi town from Boko Haram insurgents in 2014.

 

See also  Economic Hardship: Sultan urges Nigerians to return to farm

At least 21 people were killed in Tuesday morning suicide bomber attack at a mosque in Mubi, Adamawa State, according to The National Emergency Management Agency, NEMA.

Bashir Garga, NEMA coordinator, North-eastern, while confirming the incident, said eight persons injured in the attack had been evacuated for treatment at a local hospital.

According to Garba, ”A suicide attack by a teenage boy after early morning prayers at a mosque has so far claimed the lives of at least 21 persons, and eight others injured seriously have been transferred to FMC, Yola.”
“A boy of about 17-years-old, wearing a suicide vest entered the mosque along with other worshippers immediately after the prayers and detonated the bomb. Besides the eight (injured) transferred, others, wounded are receiving treatment at various hospitals in Mubi North,” he added.

A female suicide bomber had earlier detonated his deadly vest during morning prayers at the mosque.

See also  Otti felicitates with Muslims on Eid-el-Kabir festival

A resident who witnessed the incident said, “As people converged on Massalacin Madina at Anguwan Shuwa to observe Subh (morning prayer), an unknown bomber rammed himself into the mosque with IEDs, killing many people. As I am talking to you I saw over 20 dead with many injured.”

The chairman of Mubi North Local Government Area, Musa Bello confirmed the attack.
According to him, “the suicide bomber struck at the mosque during the morning prayer. Though for now, we are still compiling the casualty figure, reports say that over 15 to 20 people were reported killed.”

There has been an upsurge in Boko Haram attacks in Adamawa State recently.

Borno, Yobe, and Adamawa have been the most affected states by the Boko Haram’s nefarious attacks since the insurgency began 2009.