Over 60,000 candidates to rewrite UMTE over malpractice, others – JAMB

The Joint Examination and Matriculation Board, JAMB, said that 62,140 candidates will re-write the university admission examination it conducted last month.

The rescheduled exams will hold July 1.

The board has also delisted computer-based centres (CBT) from board examination as a result of technical deficiencies, extortion, organised examination malpractice and other infractions.

Prof Ishaq Oloyede, The JAMB registrar, made the disclosure at a press briefing on Wednesday, after the board’s management meeting in Abuja.

According to Oloyode, the 62,140 cancelled results include of 57,646 candidates in centres-induced malpractice, 3,811 late registration, and 683 candidates who had biometric challenges.

The board also cancelled the results of another 2,052 individual candidates found culpable of examination malpractice.

Mr. Oloyede said the management meeting had approved the “delisting of forty-eight (48) centres from participating in the board’s examination in future as a result of serious technical deficiencies, extortion, organised examination malpractice and other damaging infractions”.

See also  Freed corps members abducted in Ondo recount ordeal

He explained that the rescheduled examination was for candidates of centres with mass malpractice but who were deemed innocent.

“The rescheduling of examination is for: biometric nonverification machine related issues, technical and log out issues, late registration, malfunctioning of servers at the centre and incomplete results,” he said.

According to the board, 1,722,236 candidates registered for the 2017 Unified Tertiary Matriculation Board, which is the highest figure ever in the history of the exams.