#EndSARS protest likely to shoot up Covid-19 cases – PTF

The total disregard of the preventive measures against the Covid-19 pandemic during the ongoing nationwide #EndSARS protest is likely to cause an increase in the number of Covid-19 cases across the country in the next 2 weeks, the federal government has cautioned.

Chairman of the Presidential Task Force (PTF) on Covid-19,, Boss Mustapha, disclosed this at the national briefing of the task force in Abuja on Monday, October 20, 2020.

Mistapha, who is also the Secretary to the Government of the Federation (SGF), said despite the appreciable success recorded so far in the fight against COVID-19, the ongoing protest may spark up a second wave of the virus.

He said, “I can say it authoritatively that with the ongoing protest across the country, in the next two weeks the cases of COVID-19 would have increased. Each and everyone that attended the protest and did not put up any form of protection is likely going to spread the virus. When people contract the virus during the protest gathering, they will go back home and spread it.

See also  Police confirm Lakurawa bandits killed 33 in Kebbi attack

“This is one of the reasons why we must be extremely careful when we congregate because when you gather together in such an atmosphere where people don’t wear face masks or maintain the social distance you are creating a potential opportunity for carriers to spread the virus.

“So far we have done pretty well as a country but this protest is like a setback and we must avoid a situation where we will have a resurgence. Countries that thought they have overcome are dealing with the second wave. We are extremely lucky as a nation and we should be careful of any situation that can warrant the second wave.”

He said any mass gathering that does not adhere to the non-pharmaceutical interventions that have been put in place, like wearing of face masks, social distancing, and keeping personal hygiene, becomes a super spreader event.

See also  Nigeria's debt to World bank climbs to $18.7bn under Tinubu

With the expected spike in the number of Covid-19 cases due to these protests across the country, Nigeria runs the risk of having a second wave of the coronavirus outbreak which had before now been on a decline. This could lead to the resumption of lockdown measures by the government, in order to contain the spread of the pandemic.

Leave a Reply