ASUU president debunks report it has called off strike

By our reporter|The Academic Staff Union of Universities says the strike by university lecturers is still on.

The President of ASUU, Biodun Ogunyemi, who made the disclosure on Saturday following a Twitter post that the union has suspended its eight-month old strike, describe the announcement as fake.

According to him, ASUU does not operate a Twitter account.

He said, “ASUU does not have a Twitter account. Many people have been bombarding me with telephone calls and I can’t answer again. If we want to call off our strike, we will address a press conference and that is how we operate.”

The Federal Government earlier in the week accepted the demand by ASUU that the lecturers be exempted from the Integrated Payroll and Personnel Information System.

See also  SSS to arraign El-Rufai on Wednesday for cybercrime, national security breach

The government also offered to increase the Earned Allowances to university staff from N30 billion to N35b and the Revitalisation Fund from N20b to N25b.

The development came after weeks of negotiations and disagreements by the FG and ASUU.

Leave a Reply