Ebun Francis || The federal government on Sunday said it has withdrawn the nomination of Maimuna Aliyu and Sa’ad Alunamu as members of the Board of Independent Corrupt Practices and other offences Commission (ICPC).
Their withdrawal followed public criticisms as it emerged earlier in the week that they were both under investigation for various acts of corruption.
While Alanamu is reportedly being investigated on corruption charges allegedly committed when he headed some institutions in Kwara state, Aliyu is said to have a longstanding case of abuse of office, misappropriation, and diversion of public funds against her.
In a series of tweets on Sunday, Laolu Akande, the media spokesman for the Acting President said the government had confirmed that the individuals were undergoing probe.
He tweeted, “We are stepping down 2 of the new ICPC board nominees who have ongoing investigation issues with the commission as this presents a conflict.”
“This case presents a peculiarity as we have confirmed that the agency in which they are to serve is indeed investigating the two of them.
“A basic check showed no court convictions against them. But when weighty petitions come up this administration ‘ll always do the right thing.
“While existence of allegations or petitions against someone shouldn’t necessarily disqualify them from considerations for appointments…”
It will be recalled that ICIR, an investigative website had during the week revealed the Maimuna Aliyu and Sa’ad Alunamu were both being investigated by the ICPC fraudulent acts running into hundreds of millions of naira.

