By our reporter| David Nabarro, World Health Organisation (WHO) special envoy, has said that the World should prepare to grapple with the challenge posed by highly contagious coronavirus as the scrouge is going to be around for quite some time.
In an interview with NBC News, Nabarro said that WHO thinks that virus which broke out in Wuhan, China late last year and has infected over 1.6 million people globally, “it’s going to be a virus that stalks the human race for a quite a long time to come”.
The WHO chief who said that early detection and isolation of positive cases remain the best way to curb the spread of the disease, pleaded for cooperation between nations in order to curb the spread of the virus.
He said, “We are not so sure it will come in waves in the way that influenza does. We think it’s going to be a virus that stalks the human race for a quite a long time to come until we can all have a vaccine that will protect us.”
“The key for this particular virus is that every community has a kind of defensive shield, can pick up cases as soon as they appear, isolate them, and stop outbreaks from developing. It’s going to be necessary for every single country to have that capacity.
“We believe what we’ve got, we work with what we’ve got. That’s how we operate in the World Health Organisation.
“We’re right in the middle of this massive, epic struggle. Every single human being in the world is affected by it — businesses are really in trouble, communities are in distress. I really do hope that all nations will not find any reason to make threats or other such things that will undermine our capacity to bring together all the best knowledge that we can find.”
Nigeria COVID-19 toll rise 323
The warning of the global health agency came against the backdrop of Sunday’s confirmation of five new cases of the dreaded coronavirus by the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC).
The NCDC made the disclosure in a Tweet on its verified twitter handle.
According to the health agency, the new infections were recorded in Lagos, Kwara and Katsina.
The tweet read, ”Five new cases of #COVID19 have been reported as follows:
2 in Lagos
2 in Kwara
1 in Katsina
”As at 09:10 pm 12th April there are 323 confirmed cases of #COVID19 reported in Nigeria. 85 have been discharged with 10 deaths.”
‘There are 19 states with confirmed cases in Nigeria.”
NCDC noted that as of 9:10pm on April 12, 19 states and the Federal Capital Territory (FCT) have recorded at least one confirmed case of coronavirus.
It revealed that the death toll stood at 10 while 15 more people recovered from the disease, bringing the total number of those who have been discharged to 85.
With the latest update on COVID-19 in Nigeria, Lagos now has a total of 176 confirmed cases – more than triple the figure in the FCT.
The figures elsewhere are Abuja – 56, Osun – 20, Edo – 12, Oyo – 11, Ogun – seven, Bauchi – six, Kaduna – six, Akwa Ibom – five, Katsina – five, and Kwara – four.
Others include Delta – three, Enugu – two, Ekiti – two, Rivers – two, Ondo – two, Benue – one, Niger – one, Anambra – one, and Kano – one.
The NCDC tweet came hours after Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu announced that five more COVID-19 patients had been discharged in the state.
According to the governor, the patients – four females and one male – were discharged to reunite with their families and the society after testing negative for coronavirus.