#EndSARS: Sanwo-Olu visits family of Surulere police shooting victim, says trial of officers involved has begun

Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu on Saturday visited the family of the man killed by a police stray bullet and later gave an update on the circumstances that led to the death of the man in the Surulere area of Lagos during the #EndSars protest on Monday.

The governor who made the disclosure via his Twitter handle in a series of Tweets, said some police officers fired live ammunition at peaceful protesters in the Area C Police Command of Lagos.

The policemen were earlier on Thursday identified by the governor as Inspector Bagou Michael, Inspector Ekpoudom Etop, Sergeant Nnamdi Majura, and Sergeant Akinyemi Benson.

“Yesterday (Friday), the orderly room trial of the police officers involved in the Surulere incident began.”

“Some of the victims (of the Surulere incident) attended and will testify before the panel next week. Justice will be served. Thank you to the team actively following up and helping victims.

“There is so much more to be done and I will keep sharing the actions we are taking in line with my announcements,” the governor added.

He also desrcibed the candlelight vigil held in honour of the victims of SARS and those who lost their lives to police brutality, as “powerful”.

“I have seen powerful images and videos of the #CandleForSARSVictims vigils held across the country. It calls for very sober reflections.”

Leave a Reply