FG rules out cancellation, postponement of 2023 elections, says poll must hold as planned

Our reporter/ The federal government on Tuesday ruled out the possibility of the 2023 elections being cancelled or postponed over insecurity.

Lai Mohammed, minister of information and culture, stated this at the 17th edition of the ‘President Muhammadu Buhari (PMB) Administration Scorecard Series (2015-2023)’ in Abuja.

The minister, who was reacting to reports that the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) said the elections face a serious threat of cancellation due to insecurity, said there is no cause for alarm as all hands are on deck to ensure peaceful and credible conduct of the polls.

According to him, the position of the federal government remains that the 2023 elections will be held as planned. Nothing has happened to change that position,” NAN quoted him as saying.

See also  Supreme court nullifies Bwacha’s APC candidacy in Taraba guber poll

“We are aware that INEC is working with the security agencies to ensure that the elections are successfully held across the country.

“The security agencies have also continued to assure Nigerians that they are working tirelessly to ensure that the elections are held in a peaceful atmosphere.”

INEC had earlier said it would ensure that intensive and extensive security is provided for election personnel and materials.

Speaking at the validation of election security training resources on Monday, Abdullahi Zuru, INEC commissioner and chairman, board of the Electoral Institute, said Babagana Monguno, national security adviser, has assured that a conducive environment will be provided for the successful conduct of the general election.

With NAN report

Leave a Reply