Fire guts accounts section of Ebonyi government house

The Ebony Government House was on Friday gutted by fire, effectively shutting down normal activities for several hours.

The fire, which torched a substantial part of the accounts section, reportedly started around 9 am.

Though no life was lost, office equipment was largely engulfed and destroyed in the raging inferno before workers and the state fire service were able to put it out.

Dr. Kenneth Ugbala, Senior Special Assistant to Governor David Umahi on Internal Security, said that the fire started as a result of a faulty electrical connection in the building.

“The fire outbreak was caused by a faulty electrical connection within the accounts section and the level of damage was minimal.

“An upholstery and cottons within the section were completely burnt and we would ascertain the true extent of damage when the fire service concludes its task,’’ he said.

See also  Tinubu begs Nigerians to shelve planned hardship protest

A female worker in the state house confirmed that the fire began from the accounts section.

“The shouts for help attracted workers who used improvised items such as water and detergent to put out the fire before the arrival of firemen,” she said.

Mr James Owoh, State Chief Fire Officer, said they rushed to the fire scene after receiving a distress call from the government house.

“We have always been responsive to distress calls and Government House officials acknowledged that the situation was promptly put under control,” Owoh said.