Four members of the same family have reportedly died after eating amala, a popular Nigerian dish, in Mopa Muro LGA of Kogi state.
A man identified as Pa Motilewa, his wife, two daughters and a girl said to be a relative, reportedly prepared the amala from left-over cassava which they had previously used to make fufu.
According to a family source, the family members became sick overnight and efforts were made to treat them.
The youngest member of the family was, however, said to have died on Friday, followed by the relative, while others were moved to the ECWA hospital in Egbe.
However, the eldest of the daughters, identified as Motun, died on Sunday, while the father died later on the same day.
The mother, identified as Molomo, is said to still be alive and under close observation.
It is not yet clear if their deaths are linked to the consumption of the amala.
Meanwhile, Kingsley Fanwo, the Kogi commissioner for information, on Monday, paid a condolence visit to the palace of the Elulu of Mopa on behalf of Yahaya Bello, the state governor.
He said the governor is saddened by the incident and that “no stone will be left unturned to unravel the mystery leading to the death of the victims”.
“I am here to convey the condolences of the governor, his excellency, Yahaya Bello, to the Elulu in council, HRH Oba Julius Joledo, JP, chairman, Mopamuro LGA traditional council, and the entire people of Mopa over the death of four people after a meal. The incident is sad, devastating and horrific,” he said.
“The governor has directed security and health authorities to get to the root of the matter.
“I want to assure your highness that the reports of their findings would be made public and necessary actions taken.”
Cover Pix courtesy of DP