(Updated) Kano Kano assembly backtracks, suspends probe of Sanusi

The Kano State House o Assembly has suspended the probe of the Emir of Kano, Muhammad Sanusi II.

This is coming about a week after the state public complaint and anti-corruption commission suspended its probe of the emir.

An investigation had been launched into the finances of the Kano emirate under Sanusi.

The monarch was alleged to have misappropriated N6bn of the emirate’s funds.

The probe was initiated in the heat of his criticism of the northern establishment who once described the north as the poorest region in the country – a statement his critics did not take well.

Speaker of the assembly, Kabiru Alhassan Rurum, told the lawmakers on Monday that Abdullahi Ganduje, governor of the state, had written to the assembly, seeking the suspension of the probe.

See also  Governor Yusuf orders arrest of deposed Emir of Kano Aminu Ado Bayero

He quoted Ganduje as saying prominent Nigerians like Acting President Yemi Osinbajo; former military heads of state, Ibrahim Babangida and Abdulsalami Abubakar; Sultan of Sokoto, Sa’ad Abubakar, billionaire businessman, Aliko Dangote, among others had pleaded on behalf of the monarch.

Rurum said the governor added that a peace meeting held in Kaduna, and the emir “admitted all his mistakes and tendered an apology”.