Lagos govt to prosecute owner and driver of fuel tanker that exploded on Otedola bridge

The Lagos State Government on Monday said it is perfecting plans to prosecute the owner and driver of the fuel tanker that exploded along the Lagos-Ibadan Expressway on Thursday last week.

Imohimi Edgal, the state’s commissioner of police made this known while briefing reporters at the end of the Security Council Meeting chaired by Governor Akinwunmi Ambode.

According to Edgal, the state’s Attorney General and Commissioner for Justice, Mr Adeniji Kazeem, wrote to the command at the weekend on the relevant provisions of the law that could guide the ongoing investigation that would lead to possible prosecution.

The commissioner equally commiserated with those who lost their loved ones to the tragic incident and commended emergency responders who quickly raced to the scene to keep the causality figure low.

See also  Resident Doctors: Why we are embarking on strike from Monday

He said, “As regards investigation into the matter, it is in top gear,” the CP said in a statement by Mr. Habib Aruna, the chief press secretary to the governor.

“Henceforth, we are using this opportunity to call on all tanker drivers, all lorry drivers, all owners of such articulated vehicles to please submit those vehicles for Vehicle Inspection Office (VIO) test; they must go through the entire hub and get the Ministry of Transportation (MOT) Certificate of Road Worthiness.

“We will not allow such vehicles which obviously pose a serious danger to other road users on our roads,” Edgal warned.

He further disclosed that the government had already directed security agencies to intensify enforcement of relevant laws, especially the traffic laws in the state with a view to ensuring that the roads and highways were safe for commuters to ply without any danger.

See also  Why EFCC quizzed, released me on bail- Saraki

Related stories