Yusuf Bello| Zamfara was in the news again for the wrong reasons on Sunday as suspected bandits killed not less than 18 persons in Karaye town in Gummi Local Government Area of Zamfara State.
According to residents and government officials, the attack was the deadliest in recent months as the armed bandits operated for hours without challenge from security agents.
A military internal memo which confirmed the attack, said 18 people were killed in the attack, which was likely a reprisal of an incident at Bardoki district on November 3 in which about Seven repentant bandits were killed by vigilantes members.”
Also, the special assistant to Governor Bello Matawalle on security matters, Abubakar Dauran, confirmed the attack was a reprisal by suspected Fulani whose relatives were victims in an earlier attack on a market at Bardoki ward in Gummi.
According to Dauran, a report at his disposal indicated that 10 people were killed in the attack which he blamed on community volunteers (‘Yansakai) who he said had earlier killed scores of Fulani people in the market attack.
He said, “The volunteers have been banned in the state, but they are still carrying on with their activities, sabotaging the peace efforts of the government. The peace process is on course.”
He urged residents not be discouraged by the attacks as the state government is on top of the situation.
Zamfara has in recent years been the epicentre of killings linked to bandits in the north west.
On assumption of office in May 2019, the newly elected Governor, however, Bello Matawalle negotiated a ceasefire with the bandits.