-36-year-old dies of Coronavirus in Lagos
Chidi Samuel| Nigeria on Sunday night confirmed eight new cases of the novel Coronavirus bringing the country’s toll to 232.
Nigeria’s health agency had earlier on Sunday confirmed ten new cases of the disease in the country.
The Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC) in an update via its Twitter handle on Sunday night said that 5 new cases was reported in Lagos, 2 in FCT and 1 in Kaduna.
According to the health agency, the country now has 232 cases of the rapidly spreading Covid-19.
The tweet read, ”Eight new cases of #COVID19 have been reported in Nigeria: 5 in Lagos, 2 in the FCT and 1 in Kaduna State As at 09:30 pm 5th
April there are 232 confirmed cases of #COVID19 reported in Nigeria. Thirty-three have been discharged with five deaths”.
According to NCDC, Lagos now has 120 cases; FCT, 47 and Osun, 20. Oyo and Edo states have nine cases each; Bauchi, six, Akwa Ibom and Kaduna, five each.
Ogun has four cases; Enugu and Ekiti, two cases each; Rivers, Benue and Ondo states have one case each.
33 patients have so far recovered from the disease and five deaths recorded.
Meanwhile, the Lagos State Government on Sunday confirmed that a 36-year-old man died of coronavirus in the state.
The Lagos Commissioner for Health, Prof. Akin Abayomi, who made the announcement via his Twitter handle said that the Nigerian died on Saturday in a private facility.
Abayomi confirmed the death as the second coronavirus fatality recorded in Lagos.
A 55-year-old man who died on Friday, April 2 at the Lagos University Teaching Hospital, Idi-Araba, was the first coronavirus-related death recorded in Lagos.
The health commissioner, who also confirmed that Lagos had recorded six new COVID-19 cases, said another coronavirus patient had been evacuated from the state.
Abayomi tweeted, “We lost a COVID-19 patient – a 36-year-old Nigerian male who died in a private facility on the 4th of April, 2020. (The) total number of #COVID-19 patients who have died are now two.
“A case was evacuated bringing total evacuated to two.
“Six new cases of #COVID-19 confirmed, bringing total confirmed cases to 115. A #COVID-19 patient was discharged on the 4th of April, 2020. The number of #COVID-19 patients, who have fully recovered and discharged is now 24.”