Presidency has no plans to reject 2017 budget- Enang

The special adviser to President Muhammadu Buhari on National Assembly matters, Senator Ita Enang on  Saturday said that the Presidency has no plans to reject the 2017 budget passed into law by the National Assembly last month.

Enang made the disclosure in a statement made available to newsmen.

According to him, the Presidency is working in line with the constitutional framework provided by the Constitution.

The statement read, “There is no such plan by it to reject the 2017 budget passed by the National Assembly as alleged in some reports.”

“The presidency can only assent to the budget or withhold assent as the case maybe.

“However, should there be areas needing input, the presidency would engage the leadership of the senate and house of representatives.

See also  Multiple taxation, insecurity forcing manufacturers out of business - MAN DG

“As such, any report suggesting a rejection of the 2017 budget by the presidency is incorrect.”

He explained that the presidency was currently subjecting every detail of the budget to scrutiny using the available systems at its disposal.

“When the budget was presented to both chambers of the National Assembly for consideration last year by President Muhammadu Buhari, both chambers subjected the document to legislative processes, using internal systems at their disposal,” he said.

“This, exactly, is what the presidency is actually doing at the moment to ensure that the budget, when assented to, sufficiently addresses the nation’s present realities.”

Enang’s explanation followed speculation in the media that the Presidency was considering rejection of the budget following insertions made by the National Assembly.