A resident of Ƙankara Local Government Area on Monday revealed why bandits abducted over 300 schoolboys in Katsina State, last Friday.
The man who spoke to Channels Television and does not want his identity revealed said the bandits abducted the students from the Government Science Secondary School, Ƙankara in a reprisal attack.
According to him, the bandits attacked ‘Yar-Kuka village last week where some villagers were killed and others abducted.
He said, “There is something people are yet to know; before the recent abduction of Ƙankara Secondary School students, the bandits had on Wednesday attacked ‘Yar-Kuka village and killed 12 people and abducted an unspecified number of people in the village.
“On Thursday, vigilante group mobilised and went after the bandits in their hideouts and engaged in burning down the Fulani houses, injuring and killing some of them.”
He explained that as a result, this made the bandits strike again and that led to the attack on the schoolchildren on Friday night.
The man further told the broadcast station that the bandits stormed the school and started shooting sporadically in the air, causing commotion and stampede before scaling over the fence and burgling the gate.
According to him, they then gathered the students in a place and shepherded them to Pauwa village where they had parked their motorcycles.
Following the attack on the school on Friday night, Katsina state governor, Aminu Masari on Sunday confirmed that at least 333 students were missing, but the presidential spokesman , Garba Shehu in an interview with BBC Hausa service, contracdicted the governor, stating that only ten students were yet to be accounted for.


Leave a Reply