Air force bases under threat of attack- Chief of air staff

The chief of air staff, Sadique Abubakar on Thursday said that Country’s air bases are under threats of possible attack.

Abubakar spoke at the opening of the base defence planning retreat in Kaduna and assured that officers had been placed on ”red alert’ to defend such attack if and when they do arise.

“We have had an attack on one of our airbases in the recent past and current intelligence reports keep highlighting the possibility of attacks on our bases,” he said.

“Given the importance of bases in the airpower delivery matrix, it is not inconceivable to expect our adversaries to target our bases.

The air force boss added that evolving security environment globally had become complex and “most times unpredictable.”

See also  Tinubu begs Nigerians to shelve planned hardship protest

These issues, he said, ranges from challenges of terrorism, militancy, kidnapping to economic sabotage.

“On the assumption of office and with the need to develop a robust base defence concept in view, we carried out a review of the then base defence concept,” he said.

“The conclusion was that the erstwhile base defence concept, with its emphasis on emplacing static guards at identified key and vulnerable points, was no longer tenable and sufficient to respond to our contemporary threats.

“Consequently, we introduced a new base defence concept. The new base defence concept is premised on the development and deployment of an air-minded ground defence force, trained and equipped as special light infantry and capable of operating both inside and outside the base perimeter against contemporary threats while leveraging on intelligence and available modern technology.

See also  Freed corps members abducted in Ondo recount ordeal

“However, recent evaluations of the bases reveal that many commanders and bases are still sold on the old concept and are yet to imbibe and adopt the tenets of the new base defence concept.” he said.