Kidnappers of oil workers demand N100m ransom

Chidi Samiel

The unknown gunmen who abducted 15 staff of Nest oil plc, a local oil serving firm in Port Harcourt last Friday have demanded the sum of N100m for the release of their victims. The kidnappers are believed to have established contact with some family members the captives telling them to pay the ransom if they want their loved ones released.

A source close to the family of one the victims confirmed that a demand for N100m ransom has been made

“Yes, they spoke with one of the family members of their victim and they are demanding for N100m for the release of the oil workers.

“We also learnt that the kidnappers had put calls across to some people in authority to make the money available so that the oil workers would be released,” the source added.

More details over the circumstances that lead to the abduction of the workers continue to emerge days after the unfortunate incident. The workers were said to have departed for the office without waiting for their security escort vehicle. The decision has been described as foolhardy by persons familiar with the precarious security situation in the area.

See also  NDLEA seizes cocaine, synthetic cannabis concealed in incense candles in Lagos

“If they (oil workers) had been patient enough to wait for the policemen to fuel their vehicle, this would not have happened because they (police) would have escorted them out of ONELGA”.

When contacted, the State Police Public Relations Officer, Mr. Nnamdi Omoni, said he was not aware of any demand by the kidnappers but that the Police are still searching  for the kidnappers, ”our men have been combing the bushes since the incident happened and I am sure that the victims will be rescued very soon,” he said.